I recently bought a somewhat upgraded Chillblast Voodoo SLI (16GB/RAM, Intel i7 3770K overclocked to 4.7GHz, two GeForce 660 Tis in SLI; the thing’s a powerhouse!) and opted to upgrade my dual monitor configuration. I ended up purchasing three Asus VS247s and an appropriate stand. It’s pretty nice
I’ve spent quite some time digging up information on how to configure NVIDIA’s drivers to play nicely with SLI, though, likely because I use NVIDIA Surround under Windows 8 and have my displays connected up accordingly. On my first GPU I have two displays attached via DVI adapters, with one display connected via DVI to the second GPU. My solution was to avoid the nvidia-settings graphical interface altogether, since this appears to lack support for newer features within the driver. Instead, I used the following command to gather data about my display configuration:
$ nvidia-xconfig --query-gpu-info
Then used the output to formulate another to generate an updated xorg.conf:
$ sudo nvidia-xconfig --base-mosaic --metamodes="GPU-0.DFP-0: 1920x1080+1920+0, GPU-0.DFP-3: 1920x1080+3840+0, GPU-1.DFP-0: 1920x1080+0+0"
Upon restarting X (easiest to just reboot your machine!), my displays were configured correctly! The only issue I did have was with identifying the positioning of the monitors; I had to jiggle the modes parameter a little before I got the numbering right.
On the 29th of December 2012, I ordered a 15″ MacBook Pro, with the Retina display. It was the upper-specced model, with a 2.6GHz quad core i7, with the 16GB/RAM upgrade. Given that I’m an apprentice and am on constrained wages, it was a pretty large sum of money to shell out. It’s easily the most expensive thing I own at the moment and — indeed — have owned my entire life. Read more
SFLphone is a nifty little SIP client that’s ideal for working with an Asterisk server. It’s lightweight, has few dependencies and has a very easy to use GUI, but unfortunately hasn’t been packaged very well (the current PPA stable build doesn’t run). To fix it, you’ll want to build it from source. The following should do it… (took a few minutes to crack)
Install the dependencies
sudo apt-get install \ autoconf build-essential git libtool \ gnome-doc-utils \ libcommoncpp2-dev libdbus-1-dev \ libccrtp-dev libasound2-dev libpulse-dev libsamplerate0-dev libzrtpcpp-dev libdbus-c++-dev libyaml-dev libpcre3-dev libgsm1-dev libspeex-dev libspeexdsp-dev libcelt-dev libexpat1-dev libnotify-dev libgtk2.0-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev
Clone the source code
git clone https://github.com/LukeCarrier/sflphone.git cd sflphone
pushd daemon/libs/pjproject # compiling without -fPIC causes the daemon build to fail with # "could not read symbols" errors export CFLAGS='-fPIC' ./configure --prefix=$HOME/Applications/SFLphone unset CFLAGS make dep make popd
Install the sflphoned daemon
pushd daemon ./autogen.sh ./configure --prefix=$HOME/Applications/SFLphone make make install popd
Install the Gnome GUI
pushd gnome ./autogen.sh ./configure --prefix=$HOME/Applications/SFLphone make make install # compile glib schemas gor gsettings mkdir -p $HOME/Applications/SFLphone/share/glib-2.0/schemas cp data/org.sflphone.SFLphone.gschema.xml $HOME/Applications/SFLphone/share/glib-2.0/schemas glib-compile-schemas $HOME/Applications/SFLphone/share/glib-2.0/schemas popd
Alter search paths for just this session
You’ll need to do this every time you want to run SFLphone. Stick it in a shellscript if you want to run it on start up!
export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/Applications/SFLphone/bin export XDG_DATA_DIRS=$XDG_DATA_DIRS:$HOME/Applications/SFLphone/share exec dbus-launch $SHELL # dbus only reads config on launch
Run the application